Thursday, October 7, 2010

Window Light

Been away a while.

Caught one of those "sniffling, sneezing, coughing, aching, stuffy head with a fever ... " colds, as the ad jingle goes. Used the advertised product and it knocks me right out! So while the cold does its thing, I'm off visiting never-never land.

In the meantime, the world continues on its merry way and school assignments have their due dates.

Which brings me to the Window Light portrait. 

Window light can be a beautiful light that wraps around your subject. Look for a good northern window so as to soften the effects of direct sunlight. If your light is large enough and your room has light colored walls you might not even need to add a fill.


I made this portrait of my mother using the large north window in her living room.

Technical details, for those who are interested, Pentax K20D, ISO 400, Tokina ATX-Pro 287 at 70mm, f/6.3. Metering the window, I got 1/80 sec at f/5.6 + .5.

I did use a fill light, a Vivitar 285HD bounced off the ceiling on the other side of the room, triggered by a CyberSync. The strobe is set to YELLOW which automatically gives f/4, for about a 2:1 ratio.

And then I took mom out for breakfast and some nice Sunday morning conversation.

No comments: