Thursday, October 14, 2010

Sunrise 10-10-10

I took a break this past weekend to spend some time with my first love, Nature Photography.

I scouted the location at Cades Cove in the Great Smokey Mountains National Park on Saturday so I'd know where I wanted to be when sunrise came on Sunday. I had a particular location on Sparks Lane that I wanted to photograph as the first rays of morning sun broke the rim of surrounding mountains.

Cades Cove is not open to vehicle traffic until after sunrise, but you can park in the main parking area before dawn.  I made it to the Cades Cove entrance gate at 6:00 am and walked to my chosen location to set up and await the sun.

I did not allow for the fact that due to the surrounding terrain, the sun would not actually break the horizon until some time after official sunrise. While I was waiting for the light, another park visitor drove his monster pickup truck up and parked right into the middle of my scene.

Plan B.

I had taken my 300mm lens along even though my aim was to make wide angle scenic views capturing the morning fog, directional light and emerging fall colors. As I was relocating to a new position, I noticed some vague movement out in one of the fields. I mounted the 300 and set my tripod down.

I managed to capture two frames. This crop is approximately 1/4 of the first frame.

Pentax K20D; Sigma 300mmf/2.8; ISO400; f/5.0 @ 1/30sec
I didn't get the shot I wanted, but I'm happy with the shot I got.

Besides, now I've got an excuse to go back.

No comments: