Thursday, October 21, 2010

First "Official" Wedding

I finally got the opportunity to shoot a wedding. This is what I've been going to school for, preparing myself to shoot weddings and portraiture as my source of retirement income.

Pentax K20D, SMC DA18-55, ISO 400, f/5.6 @ 1/50 sec - AF 540FGZ flash, PTTL at -1 stop
I was actually second shooter, so I gained experience without the pressure of having to be responsible for the whole thing I'd have had as the primary. Still, I wanted to do the best job I could, and I think I did well.

All things considered, it went remarkably well. I only had one fumble, when a set of spare batteries I'd brought proved to be defective. Fortunately, I was carrying four sets, and it only took me a couple of minutes to figure out what was wrong and get a functioning set installed.

I shot in RAW+JPEG and copied the jpegs off onto CDs for the couple before leaving the reception. Filled 3.5 CDs. I was worried that I wouldn't have enough. Next time I'll carry DVDs.

I'm pleased with how it turned out. I made fewer mistakes the first time out than I anticipated and the mistakes I did make were correctable on the spot, so I feel I was able to give the customer good value.

No comments: